23 Dec Pikopiko and mango salad recipe
Pako salad (Tagalog language)
This salad was shared with our Kai Māori Kai Ora lead, Haylee Koroi by her friend David Garcia. It is good to have with rice, fried fish, or other seafood and has quickly become one of Haylee’s favourite ways to use pikopiko!
- Equal parts vinegar & soy sauce for salt and sour (Sauce base)
- Fish sauce for salt and fish taste
- Oyster sauce or hoisin for sweetness
- Dash of sesame oil & olive oil for fat
- Salt and pepper to balance at the end
- Chilli flakes for spice (optional)
Make sauce to taste. It should taste sweet, sour, spicy, fishy, and a little nutty. Or for a simpler version, just add fish sauce.
- 2 big handfuls of pikopiko chopped in halves or thirds
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick sliced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 heaped cup of defrosted or fresh mango
- 4 kale leaves finely sliced
- Coriander or parsley sliced (optional)
Mix ingredients together in a large bowl. Add additional amounts of favourite ingredients to your liking. Pour sauce over salad ingredients. Mix and serve.
Nā David Garcia i kohangia @mapmakerdavid
David is a Kapampangan, Tagalog, and Austronesian from the wetlands of Luzon Island in the Philippines.