09 Apr Chicken Schnitzel with Mashed Kumara
Posted at 15:51h in Recipes
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1tlbs balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
- 500g kumara, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat spread
- ¼ cup trim milk
- 2 large (200g each) chicken breast ﬁllets, halved horizontally
- ¼ cup plain ﬂour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 ¼ cups quinoa ﬂakes
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli ﬂorets
- 4 cups baby rocket
- In a small saucepan, place tomatoes, garlic and vinegar and set over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Season with cracked black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook kumara for 10-12 minutes, or until just tender. Drain. Return kumara to the pan. Add spread and milk then season with pepper. Mash until smooth. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, using a meat mallet or rolling pin, ﬂatten chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap until 5mm thick. On a plate, place ﬂour. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white with 1 tablespoon water. On a second plate, place quinoa ﬂakes. Dip chicken into ﬂour, then egg white mixture and then quinoa and place on a third plate. Continue to coat remaining chicken to make 4 crumbed schnitzels.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Cook schnitzels for 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook broccoli for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- Serve chicken with tomato sauce, kumara mash, broccoli and rocket.