11 Dec Mera’s R B & B: Roasted Beet and Brussels Salad
Dr Mera Penehira ( Ngati Maniapoto) is Associate Professor at Te Whare Wananga o Awanui-a-Rangi and is currently training for the Waka Ama nationals. Mera maintains her māra kai, regularly contributing to a West Auckland local kapata kai! Here she shares one of her recipes utilising some of the bounty from her māra.
Choose your own quantities so you get the most of your favourites!
- Fresh whole raw beetroot
- Brussel sprouts
- Mixed variety lettuce leaves
- Feta cheese crumbled
- Fresh shelled walnuts
- Finely chopped spring onions
- Broken/torn fresh herbs e.g. Basil/Parsley/Coriander
- Plain olive oil
- Lemon infused olive oil
- Maldon salt and cracked pepper
- Scrub and quarter the beetroot and roast at 220 degrees with a little plain olive oil and Maldon salt until tender.
- Wash and halve brussels and put in with halved walnuts to roast for last 15 mins with the beetroot.
- Cool roast vegies.
- Lay out washed and dried mixed variety lettuce leaves on your salad platter. Then layer/decorate the lettuce with all other ingredients so that it looks like the picture! Sprinkle with Maldon salt, douse with cracked pepper and drizzle lemon infused olive oil lightly over top.
Nā, Tā Mera Penehira
Associate Professor – School of Indigenous Graduate Studies (Te Whare Wananga o Awanuiārangi)