24 Apr Dumplings
With the change of season upon us these wonderful dumplings are a simple and friendly weeknight dinner that can be made in the weekend. These dumplings are easily converted for the meat eater or vegetarian alike…vegan options can be entertained as well.
The easiest way to make dumplings is to cook the filling and then set up a “wrapping” station for mass production. These dumplings are vegetarian, with a filling of eggs, mushrooms, silverbeet, carrot and ginger. The wrappers can be picked up at most Asian Food Specialist.
- 4 eggs
- 1 carrot
- Half an onion
- 3 leaves of Silver beet
- 3 knobs of ginger
- 1 pudding bowl of mushrooms
- Tablespoon of sesame seed oil
- Throw pan on with sesame seed oil – heat till warm and add in the ginger, onions, silverbeet and mushrooms sliced and diced) to the pan.
- Cook through for 5 minutes, finishing off by adding the carrot and the egg for another 5 minutes. Keep the bulk of the kai moving around the pan and wait for your eggs to be cooked thoroughly.
- Set aside to cool.
Prepare wrapping station
- Bowl of water
- Packet of wrappers
- Plate to place wrapped dumplings on
- Glad wrap plate for wrapped dumpling first
- Pick and place wrapper in the palm of your hand
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the wrapper
- Close your palm and dab your finger in the water bowl
- Place the water on one half of the dumpling wrapper
- Pinch the dumpling closed (in a pleated fold – google for better tech unique – but trust me you will get it
- Repeat steps 1 thru 5
- Place in the Freezer for eating later
Pan frying dumpling
- Teaspoon of seasame seed oil
- Best to cook from frozen
- Put 6-8 in a pan , heat thru and add dash of water to steam the pan up – place on lid and wait 6-10 minutes
In a soup
- Make a soup
- Drop them in – boil for 6 – 8 minutes
- Eat ’em up!