20 Oct Oven Hangi
The next closest thing to an actual hangi, great tasting and easy to make and share with the whānau.
Source: Nga Miti He Kai Reka
Prep time: 30 minutes
1 kg Boneless brisket
4 Lamb shoulder chops
2 Celery stalks (diced)
1/2 Cabbage (shredded)
1 cup Water
1 cube Beef stock
1 bunch Watercress
1. Prepare this meal in a roasting dish with a tight fitting lid, or cover with a double layer of tinfoil and seal well.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
3. Sprinkle celery, parsley, carrots into the dish. Lay the brisket on top, followed by the lamb shoulder chops.
4. Pour over stock. No salt is needed.
5. Cover the dish and cook in a moderate oven for 3 hours. Check to see if cooked after 2 and a half hours.
6. Serve with coleslaw if you wish, and feel free to add other meat alternatives like chicken, duck, turkey or even stewing beef.
If cooking in a slow cooker or crock pot, cook on low for 6-8 hours