19 Apr Easy Beef Curry
Good for warming those cold winter nights. You can even do this one in the crock-pot.
Prep time: 30 minutes preparation, 2 1/2 hours cooking
650-750g Quality Mark beef chuck/blade/rump steak, trimmed and cut into large chunks
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp ginger, minced
2 tbsp medium curry powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp water
1 beef stock cube, dissolved in 1 cup of hot water
4 cups kūmara, peeled and cubed
1 400g can tomatoes
1 400g can light coconut milk
400 g beans, frozen
- Fry the onions, garlic and ginger gently in a spray of oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add meat, stirring to brown.
- Mix dry spices together and add water to make paste. Add paste to fry pan.
- Add all remaining ingredients except beans and rice. Bring to the boil, and then reduce heat to very low. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours* or until the meat is tender (the longer you cook it, the more tender the meat will become). Stir occasionally so mixture doesn’t stick to base of pot and burn.
- Add frozen beans and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice
Note: If using a crock-pot, cook on low for 6-8 hours. And to make your steak extra tender, pound it or marinate with kiwifruit.